Friday, June 24, 2011

Stone Mountain

Jason has been in Atlanta all week for some training courses. I would have loved for the kids and I to spend the whole week here visiting with friends and family, but I committed to watching my niece and nephew Tuesday through Thursday. I had to do the best I could to work around that, so the kids and I drove down last night. Grace and I were talking about how much we wished we could live here. I don't know if it's just my genes or what. My mother and father met and married here. My two sisters and I were born here. Maybe it's that. I don't know. We just love this area and always wish we could be here closer family. My father has a sister here who has five grown kids and I miss them all dearly. I digress. 
The kids and I ate at a cool little hole in the wall pizza place today. It was yummy, but not the best I've ever had. The kids loved theirs.
  Tonight we are going to Stone Mountain. The kids and I took Maite a couple of years ago, but Jason has never been. I have so many childhood memories here. It also happens to be the place where my father proposed to my mother! It's one of those places that I think everyone should go. It's a National Park, and parking is the only $10, so that's cheap entertainment for an evening. There are other things that do cost money, like the skyline, several different rides and tours they have. 

The big rock, er, stone, is more than five miles in circumference at its base. So it's kind of BIG!  It is engraved with three leaders of the Civil War: Generals Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, Robert E. Lee, and President Jefferson Davis. The carving alone spans three acres. 
The park puts on this 45 minute laser show at night and it's amazing. The show is full of patriotic music that always brings me to tears and is rounded off at the end with a big fireworks show. 

There is also so much to do for the outdoorsy people! I wish my family were more like that. We do plan to try camping this summer! At this park you can hike and they also have campgrounds. It is near a big lake too. 

If you are going to be in this area I would definitely look Stone Mountain Park up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment